Sunday, June 21, 2015

1st Product Review: Fine Accoutrements Shaving Mug


Hello everyone and welcome to my first product review.  If you are wondering why I chose a shaving mug for my first product review, I don't blame you, but give me a chance to explain.  Earlier this week I received my first order of Fine Accoutrements shaving products.  I was immediately impressed with the quality of the aftershaves.  I will save a complete review for later, but I will say this:  for the price, you cannot beat these aftershaves.  The scents are incredible. 

I was also impressed with the quality of the shave brushes I ordered.  I only ordered the badger brushes, but I must say that for the price, they are top notch.  And then I opened the case of shaving mugs, and I must say that I was initially very underwhelmed. 

 
 
The shaving mugs looked very shallow with an overly large circumference.  The mugs taper inward toward the bottom and it just looked odd compared to the other shaving mugs I have in my collection.  Since I will not sell anything in my shop that I would not use myself, I took one home to give it a try.  WOW!  Spoiler Alert:  I love this shaving mug!

Before I begin, I intentionally did not use the Fine Accoutrements shaving brush for this review.  I used a brush from my collection that I am very familiar with.  This way I knew I would only be testing the bowl, not the brush.

The same thing with the lather.  I always make what is called uberlather, which is a combination of shaving soap, shaving cream and glycerin. For this review, I used a very familiar shaving soap and shaving cream so that I would be testing the bowl, not the lather.  
 
 Please note the raised ribs in the interior of the mug in the above photo.  These ribs are nothing new.  I have a vintage Old Spice shaving mug that has these same raised ribs.  However, the Old Spice mug is deep with a narrow circumference, which limits the motion of the brush.  This mug, as previously stated, is a bit more shallow with a much wider circumference.  This wider circumference lets you whip the brush around to create a great lather.  The raised ribs add resistance to the brush motion to really create a great lather.

 
I also love the way Fine incorporated a brush rest into the handle.  This too is nothing new, but this brush rest actually works.  I used the largest brush in my collection for this test, and it held it with no problem.  And the handle fits very comfortably into your hand.
 
 
 
Although this picture does not do justice, this is how your lather should look.  It should look like pie meringue prior to being baked.  I will do an upcoming post describing how to make uberlather. 
 
Although I was initially very underwhelmed by the looks of this mug, it has quickly become my favorite.  Fine Accoutrements has done a very Fine job of making a very Fine shaving mug.
 
Until next time, Cheers.       
 





  

1 comment:

  1. I posted to https://www.facebook.com/FineAccoutrements, they enjoyed said they enjoyed it. You need to keep posting, they really are great posts! You will get followers if you keep it up. Just takes time.

    ReplyDelete