Sunday, June 7, 2015

Sunday's Lunch (June 7, 2015)

s


 
For those of you who are regulars in the barber shop, you have certainly heard us talk about our love of food.  Everyone in the shop loves food and we frequently talk about our favorite places to eat.  Since my girlfriend works on Sundays, I always treat myself to a wonderful late lunch on Sunday afternoons.  Since I always eat alone, I always sit at the bar for lunch.  As promised, here is my first restaurant review. 
 
One thing before I start.  Since I am not a professional food critic, I will never post a negative restaurant review on my blog. If I eat somewhere and I like it, you will read about it here.  If I eat somewhere and I do not like it, I simply will not have a blog post for that day.  With that in mind, let's get to it.
 
Today, Sunday June 7th, I had lunch at Veritas Steak and Seafood in Sugarland, Texas.  Veritas is located in the same shopping center as Whole Foods at Highway 6 and U. S. 59.  It is at the opposite end of the center from Whole Foods.  I usually would be hesitant to eat at a place that claims to do steaks and seafood, because usually if you try to do too much, you don't do any of it very well.  That is not the case with Veritas.
 
My bartender and waiter was Ryan.  Not only did Ryan have to make drinks for the entire restaurant as well as wait on the customers seated at the bar, he also was taking care of a private party in the wine room in addition to waiting on tables in the restaurant.  I think it is a bit ridiculous that the bartender in a restaurant of this size and caliber should have to wait tables, but Ryan handled it all very well.
 
I started off as usual with a dirty Kettle One Vodka martini.  It was delicious, not too briny, just right.  Veritas has calamari on their appetizer menu, but with a twist.  You can order the calamari with the usual marinara sauce, but Veritas also offers it with a spicy Thai peanut sauce and peanuts.  This calamari is absolutely incredible.  The calamari was cooked perfectly, not the slightest bit chewy.  The creamy richness of the peanut sauce along with the crunchiness of the peanuts, made it heavenly.  This was absolutely the best calamari I have ever had, and I have had a lot of calamari.
 
For the entrée I chose the Seared Ahi Tuna steak served with rice and asparagus, along with a glass of Benvolio Pinot Grigio wine.  I ordered the Ahi tuna rare, and it was wonderful.  It was so tender it almost melted in your mouth without chewing.  The rice was fluffy and the asparagus was crisp and tender. 
 
My Sunday lunches are my weekly treat to myself and I will definitely be coming back to
Veritas.  I would recommend this place to anyone.  Whether you are looking for a great place for date night with your wife or girlfriend, or a lunch or dinner by yourself or with friends, you won't go wrong at Veritas.  Highly recommended. 

No comments:

Post a Comment